Saturday, August 6, 2011

Return to Cheyenne Mountain...

    It sounds like an epic movie name, I know. ;) This AM, Dad and I took off to take on the (although we did not know how formidable it would be!) Talon trail on our bikes. This was the same one we went on our last visit time, but it was so much harder to tackle this beast on wheels. It was grueling, wearying toil up to the top; this was the first time out here on a hike/bike that I thought there was a chance I couldn't force myself to do it. On the ascent, I had to fight the nausea, resisting the urge to lose my breakfast. So, this might be more information than you wanted, but it's the necessary truth.
    Oh. My. Goodness. The ride down was the most exhilarating thing I've done out here. Flying down the mountainside, whipping around turns, jumping over bumps, rocks, roots, careening towards imminent destruction, and yet living to tell about it. I never once doubted that our physical safety was not guaranteed, and at the speed I was going, there was all the likelihood of an untimely demise.
     So yes, it was worth pushing past the burning lungs and legs, gritting the teeth to the top of the next climb, and ignoring the pain. Exerting oneself to the breaking point and a new level of ability... that's where it's at.
    Dad and I also stopped at Pulpit Rock for a quick hike to the top of the outcrop. I'll get today's pictures up after a reading break... and ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment